Wednesday 28 November 2012

Christmas Shortbread.

I'm going to post a couple of Christmas themed recipes over the next couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. I love baking so I thought I'd share some of my favourites with you!

I'm being quite thrifty this christmas because college and my equipment has killed off my bank account!

So I am making little hampers for people, with bits and bobs in. I'll post some ideas ASAP!

Today, it's shortbread.

I'm not a huge fan myself, but my family love the stuff so it's always appreciated!! :) and I can make vegan versions of most of these for my friends too!

Ingredients:

125g/4oz butter (or vegan option)
55g/20z caster sugar
180g/6oz plain flour

(makes about 20-24 fingers, I halved the ingredients because there was only my Mum and I eating them!)

you can add a splash of vanilla extract too if you like, but just a splash or they won't taste much like shortbread!! I put vanilla in most things, love it!

Pre-heat the oven to 190c/375f/gas 5

In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth. Then,. slowly stir in the flour until combined and it has formed a dough ( not a super firm dough though).



Turn out on to a work surface and gently roll out until its is 1cm/1/4 inch thick.

Cut into shapes, fingers, rounds or whatever you fancy! I made stars!


Sprinkle with a little bit of icing sugar and chill in the fridge on a baking tray for 20 mins/half an hour.


Once chilled, bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Mine only took about 12 minutes, because I have a fan oven and it gets stupidly hot and burns things so I had to keep a close eye on them!!

Once they cooled, I put them on a plate and sprinkled loads of cinnamon sugar on them, because I love cinnamon and I think it's a nice warm christmassy spice!!


I just realised how crap this post is because I didn't have time to take a picture of the finished product....they got snapped up too quick!!

These also make a nice little gift if you bag them up all nice and finish off with some cute christmas ribbon!!

Good Luck!

Let me know if you make them!!

1 comment:

  1. These look so yummy! Definately gonna give them a try!
    http://theaccessorymakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete